Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Loving My Lei



Yeah, I got lei-d last night!

Sorry, I couldn't help it, that's the running joke among my male colleagues at this conference.

Contrary to popular conceptions about Hawaii, you do NOT receive a lei upon arrival in the Honolulu airport, unless you are being picked by a limosine service or some other expensive mode of ground transport. This lei was presented to me during the performance of Kalo's South Seas Review, which the Shimadas took me to this evening. Mr. Shimada's cousin now runs the restaurant, so as his honored guest I was singled out for presentation with this welcome lei.

Kalo's South Seas Review is a Waikiki institution, choreographed by Kalolaine "Kalo" Mataele Soukop, who is also on the board of the Polynesian Cultural Center in Honolulu. Interestingly, this is run by the Church of Latter Day Saints, though I can not verify that all the dancers onstage are Mormons. However, Donny and Marie's "Going Coconuts" movie contains a scene filmed onstage at Kalo's, so there is obviously a strong LDS connection here.

1 comment:

Tif_Anwar said...

You looked different in that B.O.O. contest photo.

-cheers :)